Sunday, September 20, 2015

Art Values and Rules

I spent the summer looking at my class and my curriculum but one thing that I did was read the book Discipline with Dignity. It changed my thinking about how to run my classroom. I always thought that I had to not smile until after Christmas break and that all rules are non-negotiable. If you break a rule 3 times its a detention, etc. etc. The problem was that I don't fit that mold. Discipline with Dignity gave me back my personality and my own way to run my classroom. I love it.

I discussed with my classes that I value, Safety, Respect, Responsibility, Creativity and Hard work. But that I also value them and I want them to have a say in the rules in my classroom. We did a chalk talk to express our ideas and then I wrote them down.

Here's our classroom rules from Fall 2015 and Winter 2016
 

If a student does break these rules, he may find the following are the consequences. I will determine each consequence at the time of the incident. I will be fair but not always the same. As we know students don't learn the same way when taking in classroom information, they also don't learn rules the same way. Some consequences may work perfectly for one student but not for another. 

Here are some examples of possible consequences:
    • Clean up duty (students will come at lunch to clean up)
    • Stay after class 5 mins
    • Lunch detention in detention room
    • Lunch detention with Mrs. Tillman
    • Stay after school to work on missing work
    • Roll play correct behavior
    • Write an apology note
    • Explain in a short written paragraph the reason why we have the rule
    • Conference with the asst. principal &/or principal
    • After school detention
    • Refocus ticket

No comments:

Post a Comment