Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Op Art Names - 7th Grade

Every year I like to start the students with a Name project. This works best with the 6th grade graders and the new students but also helps my scattered brain remember all the names I misplaced over the summer. Yes, I often misplace names in my brain but I do have a retrieval issue that has plagued me all my life. I doesn't mean that I don't love my students I truly do I just have an issue that sometimes doesn't allow me to pull the names of students quickly and easily. My family notices this mostly in form of please pass the red stuff on the table meaning the ketchup.

For this assignment I followed the same directions that I used for the Op Art Names, however, I changed it up some and had the students draw their initials instead of their hands. Students drew their names using our graffiti letter technique. We discussed keeping the letters separated and not have them overlap to keep the illusion of depth. We also discuss how to draw long curved lines for the long parts of the letter.  Then using markers and a ruler they drew straight lines until they hit the outline of their letter, at that point they bent the line to make it look like it was traveling over their shape. For ease we started by drawing a bunch of lines in one color, at various distances on our paper, then switch to another color. By trying to alternate each color constantly across the page it takes too much time and tends to get frustrating but by jumping around with the colors the projects seemed to go faster and was more successful.

Nikolay S. 

 Amber S.



Students were graded on the following criteria:
  - Did the lines gently bend over their letter did the letter pop out.
  - CRAFTSMANSHIP (was it done neatly)



No comments:

Post a Comment